New Students’ Union opens on MuPrint’s doorstep
MANCHESTER Metropolitan University has opened its new Students’ Union, right opposite MuPrint on Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester.
The new building boasts state-of-the-art facilities at Ground Floor level including:
- A Bar / restaurant – Serving great value food and drink all day and night, plus entertainment, music and sport
- A Central hall – Roughly the size of two tennis courts, a versatile space that can be dressed to suit any occasion – gigs, events, exhibitions, film screenings, sport…
- Cafe – Fresh food and hot drinks to eat in or takeaway
- Shop – All the essentials: stationery, art materials, drinks, snacks and more
- iCycle – Low cost, sustainable bike hire and repair
The current SU building whose bar and club area were hidden away on the second floor was deemed ‘unfit for purpose’ and a re-fit proved unworkable.
Now the £10 million development promises to be a vibrant, modern union that meets the needs of all students, including:
- Ground floor – A place to grab a bite with friends, socialise and pick up supplies
- First floor – A place to get involved, share ideas and access opportunities
- Second floor – A place to get a little more serious – think advice and support, quiet study areas, media suite and a studio
- Third floor – A place to meet, talk and collaborate – loads of flexible, bookable, free rooms
- Street level – No matter what time you’re on campus, you’ll have somewhere to relax, work, study, or socialise
University bosses will also benefit from improved pedestrian crossings, cycle and bus lanes as part of Manchester City Council’s ‘Corridor Manchester’ initiative.
The building was due to have been ready by September 2014 but was delayed to 12 January 2015. Students might be hoping it is worth the extra wait.
“We are now right at the heart of campus and we hope that students from a diverse range of courses and backgrounds will come through our doors –there truly is something for everyone,” said MMU Student Union president Mike Palmer.