SAME DAY Hardback Binding with Gold Lettering – discover MuPrint’s new, high-quality hardback binding service!
Purple covers now in stock!!
Now you can have your university or company crest or logo and lettering in gold or silver, foiled onto beautiful black or purple buckram hardback covers on the same day*.
Binding samples are available in the shop – come in and take a look.
Our new same day foil lettered covers are created using the “Metalbind” channel binding system.
*The same day service is subject to availability and workload at the time of order, and a surcharge is payable for this express service.
There is a physical limit of approx. 280 pages of standard weight (80gsm) paper.
Popular options include:
- Black or Purple Buckram A4 (Portrait) – £27.00 (no lettering – while you wait service); £29.50 with lettering on the spine, or £38.00 with logo and/or lettering on the front (next day service; same day service subject to availability and surcharge of £9 per book). This is accepted by the University of Manchester but if you require this for submission to another university then please be aware that some still insist traditional hardback binding be used – another service we offer and described below.
- Linen finish A4 (Portrait) – great as a quick and inexpensive alternative to softback binding above, when you want something that looks a lot nicer and will last a lot longer. From £6.00.
- White A4 (Landscape or Portrait) Photobooks – with the option of laminated covers, you can bind a selection of your favourite photographs. Plain covers: £10.00; one laminated cover £12.50; two laminated covers £15.00 (printing extra, or print it yourself).
Traditional Hardback Binding for postgraduate dissertations and theses
If glued or sewn binding is required, this is the option for you!
MuPrint are agents for T Walker & Co Bookbinders. They are experts in producing high quality, traditional hardback binding for theses and dissertations. The finished book is covered in (usually) black Buckram, a hard-wearing cloth – not a thin paper-based cover used in some other bindings. Gold lettering is foil blocked onto the cover in 24pt Times. The standard service takes two working days (Monday to Friday only), with an express next-day service available (subject to a surcharge).
There is no longer a requirement for most UG and PG courses at Manchester’s two universities to have hardback binding. If you do need it or want it for personal copies, then these are produced in the following manner:
Pages are glued only (not hand-sewn). The finished book has a square back (spine). PVA glue is used. Gold lettering is included on the spine only. Lettering on the front cover costs an extra £3.00 per line (24pt Times). Up to 500 sheets of standard weight copier paper (80gsm) can be bound at a cost of £29.50.
The number of sheets of paper quoted is for standard 80gsm weight paper. Heavier papers are thicker and are therefore equivalent to more sheets of 80gsm paper.
If you would like hand-sewn binding, then this starts at £38.95 each.
Hardback binding can also be done to the standard required by other universities. Please bring a copy of your regulations when you place your order to ensure that the work is completed to the correct standard.
The binders visit MuPrint once a day in the afternoon to collect and deliver. The following times are approximate only:
- Bring your printed thesis/dissertation to MuPrint by 2.00pm.
- Ready to collect from MuPrint at 3.00pm on your stated date.
Please do not bring your work for binding too late as you may miss the collection on that day. If you require any printing or copying at MuPrint, you must allow sufficient time for this.
The standard service for Traditional Hardback binding is two working days. For example, any work brought in on Monday before 2.00pm would be ready on Wednesday by 3.00pm*. Note that we have just one collection/delivery from the bindery daily, Monday to Friday only. (*Approximate time – may be earlier or later depending on workload, traffic etc.)
Please note there is no need for a reservation on any of our standard services.
The prices quoted are for binding only. Mono (black & white) or colour printing will be charged in addition, but we are happy to bind it if you print it yourself. The normal page size is A4 portrait/vertical. If you require binding of a different page size, e.g. A4 landscape or A3, please ask for a quotation.
The Express service offers delivery on the next working day. This is normally available without need for prior reservation but there may be very busy periods when this service is restricted e.g. the September Masters submission period, so please check.
The binders are experts in all types of binding and book restoration. If you require a quotation for any such item, please bring it to us and they will provide a free quotation.